Topband

Re: Topband: Optimal radial wire type and gauge?

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Rick Kiessig'" <kiessig@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Optimal radial wire type and gauge?
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:03:03 -0500
Well, Carl

Your thoughts on radials are pretty much like mine!  For those of us with
limited space, another way to get the 130' elevated radials into limited
space is to bend them. I've had really good success on 160 by doing that
under and inverted L (about 70-80 feet vertical) I try to arrange to get the
first bend out 60-70' from the base of the inverted L. Works pretty well!

What helped me the most on 160 and 80 was when I built KAZ style terminated
loop with a  preamp for a receiving antenna! Suddenly I could HEAR stations
on 160 that I didn't even know were there! It also worked very well as a
receive antenna on 80, 40 and 30m! Sure helped a lot on my modest city lot!!
(With too  many tall trees!)

Charlie, K4OTV