Topband

Re: Topband: RX 4 square

To: "'Michael Tope'" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX 4 square
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:51:59 -0400
Mike,

> If the sky noise power (read propagated noise +  local QRN) is
> 10dB above the receive system thermal noise at 2.1 KHz
> bandwidth, it will still be 10dB above the receive system thermal
> noise when you ratchet down the bandwidth to 200 Hz bandwidth.

This is only true if the bandwidth is determined in the detector
as happens with a DSP demodulation.  Since most amateur transceivers
set the demodulated bandwidth with a crystal or mechanical filter
early in the IF, the noise bandwidth is effected by the noise of
the IF system (particularly the last IF stage) and is independent
of the RF "window."  The effect is more significant with weak
signals as the IF stages will tend to run "wide open" and wideband
noise will be maximum.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV