Topband

Re: Topband: Inverted L or no Inverted L

To: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>, <kr1st@amsat.org>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L or no Inverted L
From: "George (K8GG) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 08:18:04 -0400
Harold "Price" Smith, W0RI wrote:

From: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
To: <kr1st@amsat.org>; <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:47 PM

...snip...

Alex and all,

I had to run a new power cable to a small shed located about 30 ft from our
house.
I  rewired it with a 3 X #12 UF cable. This is about 3/4 X 3/8 inch in the
cross section.
Layed it on the ground in May of this year and was going to bury it.
Well, after 4 months, it is under the grass. Sure saved some digging.
73......... Price WØRI

IMPORTANT !

I just want to warn everyone that laying radials on/in the grass is OK, but
power cable is not.

Most US electrical codes require direct burial cable to be at least 2 feet
below ground surface and cable or wires in conduit have to be 1 foot below
ground surface.
Our local utility company goes 4 feet down for HV direct burial electric
lines and 2 feet down for low pressure natural gas lines as well.
To me this is for obvious safety reasons.  I would hate to hit a 240 volt
cable with a lawn mower or a garden tool.
(Zap zap!)

Just my 240 volts worth....   73,

George    K8GG