Topband

Topband: Antenna Arsenals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antenna Arsenals
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:45:49 -0400
Good Day All,

Tree's announcement of the pending availability of the Stew Perry event of last
year has gotten me thinking about my antenna situation here...

Oddly enough, I began connecting the dots during my summer DX'ing foray here on
40-meters: I use an inverted 3-element Bobtail array there that is an absolute
"killer" antenna for long hauls --- but it's just a tad better than a dummy
light bulb load for close-in stuff.

This fact got me thinking about my objectives on 160: not every operating
session therein involves DX --- there's a ton of fun to be had with events like
the Stew Perry do. So why limit myself to inverted "L"'s then...?

The bargain of the day for me at a local Hamfest last weekend was a 275' spool
of #12 insulated copper wire: before the end of summer I'm going to convert
this find into a 1/2-wave dipole tuned for 1.820-MHz, at 50'...

That should better balance what I have in the arsenal here for transmitting
skyhooks.

As someone once said, "...You can NEVER have too many antennas for 160"...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ