Topband

Re: Topband: "Flooded" coax?

To: <Topband@contesting.com>, "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "Flooded" coax?
From: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:27:57 -0500
> Hi Gents,
>
> I have some RG-6 with a double AL foil shield with
> a braid in between.  It's a "stiff" cable with a heavy
> plastic outer covering.  I pealed back the layers and
> I feel a somewhat sticky stuff in there....not as sticky
> as I would think it would be if the cable was the so-called
> "flooded" type.  But, then I don't know for sure.
>
> So, would someone describe the "flooded" cable in
> more detail?
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie,  N0TT

Hi Charlie:

I am sure that the cable that you have is what is called "flooded cable".

It is just kind of sticky, not a liquid. It is just sticky enough to cause
the braid and foil to
get stuck on everything when stripping it back for a connector. The sticky
goo is to prevent
water from getting in if the cable is nicked

Use good crimp weather-proof  "F" connectors and get a good crimp tool You
can get a good hex crimp tool
from Radio S for a little over 20 dollars. Also one can find really good
weather-proof "F" connectors
on eBay at a very low cost.

73......Price W0RI