Topband

Topband: Hearing 5 Watts from NEW ENGLAND

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Hearing 5 Watts from NEW ENGLAND
From: "Josh" <xppq@ispwest.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:20:17 -0800
 Last night W1AW was very very
loud in NV on 1.817 mhz! they
were booming !!!
Europeans were very very weak

I called CQ and had W1RMR
reply - he was in New Hamshire
and running 5w  - see email below.
THE band was WIDE OPEN to
New England !!!!    Josh N7XM
____________________________

Hi Josh,

Fantastic to work you ....You have really good ears
to copy 5 watts on 160m from NV !

You were blasting in here at the end of the QSO.

My antenna was temporary, put up when my long
wire fell down,but it works so I won't touch it.

It is an endfed inverted U wire of unknown length.
that leaves my shack window and rises about 35', then
goes horizontal for about 25' and then falls about 35' almost
to the ground.  That's it....Insulated wire, no insulators.

The tuner (on the windowsill ) is an big airdux coil and capacitor
connected in parallel and mounted on a board, with alligator clips
connecting the ground, rig, and antenna.

The ground is the copper house plumbing and some wires
running across the beams in the cellar all connected together..

I'll run a few wires outside the house to see what happens.

I am amazed that you could hear me, and even more amazed
when I got your message this morning....What an upper !

THANK YOU !

Thanks again, and my very best 73,

Jim  W1FMR  New Hamshire