Topband

Topband: Contest - rig problems.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Contest - rig problems.
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:00:10 -0400
Got on and condx were poor. . . made a couple dozen Q's and in the middle of
working G3LET
my keyer went bezerk. (QLF?) LOL-sorry Peter :-(

Anyways, turns out something in my CW's VOX cct is farkled. (IC-736) (SSB
vox works fine)
Over the course of that QSO until the next morning my rig went from 100% TX
key down as soon as I placed it in
CW mode, to later on partial power (key down) in CW mode, to finally  "I
have RX now in CW mode but pushing VOX switch places me in key down mode"
The only way I can do CW now is to key the rig with the foot switch and when
down let up on the foot switch rig goes bk to RX.
Strange problem indeed !

Anyone heard of such a thing?  I don't think at this QTH I've ever had RF in
the shack, but I suppose it's always possible something fed back into keyer
and out to rig and made a leaky transistor path somewhere.

It upset me so much (at the time) I scratched the G3LET QSO (we didn't
complete anyways) and never turned the rig back on all weekend !

Oh well. . . .Murphy got me ! GAH !!!!

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge