Topband

Re: Topband: radial layout and pattern skew

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <eric@k3na.org>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: radial layout and pattern skew
From: "Tony Reynolds" <kb8jvh@reydata.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:07:12 -0400
Hi Tom & all,

Thanks for the input, thought provoking as always. I neglected to mention
that the model I'm using is a short 46' vertical with a 120' T wire for a
top hat running along the x axis. I moved the model antenna up so the
radials were 2' above high accuracy ground model and then up 150' with
similar results. Both showed skewing of the pattern. I haven't modeled the
top hat with 4 symmetrical wires yet, as I don't have a way to support 4 in
real life. This maybe what's causing the effect I'm seeing in the models.

The antenna I currently have up is a inverted L made of #14 copper. The
vertical portion is 46' tall with the top horizontal section being 90' and
the end dropping down to 30'. I'm building the radial system under this and
plan on switching the L out to the above T configuration. It's interesting
watching the resistance at the feedpoint as radials are added. I measured
the following on the L with a MFJ-269:

# 126' radials    resistance    resonant Freq
0                    56 ohms        1.89
4                    42             1.86
8                    30             1.84
12                   23             1.83

Looks like it's going to take lots more radials to get close to the models
feed resistance prediction of approx 12 ohms. BTW I'm just laying the
radials on the surface and holding them in place with wire staples made out
of stiff wire. Sure beats the thought of buried wires.

73,
Tony
KB8JVH