Topband

Re: Topband: 160 Shunt-Fed Tower Readings

To: "'Larry K4AB'" <larry.k4ab@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Shunt-Fed Tower Readings
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 19:56:11 -0500
Hi, again, Larry,

Well, first of all the shunt feed, being a shorted transmission line, < 1/4
wavelength in extent, would present an inductive resent at the feed point
that you are correctly cancelling with the 1000 pF series variable
capacitor. You missed ever so slightly and you are showing a series
reactance of j5.6 ohms! Trivially small and negligible!! DON'T bother trying
to improve it!!  You would pick up more reactance than that by just changing
frequency a few kilohertz!! It's PERFECT!  The 15893 pF is the equivalent
series capacitance that would produce -j5.6 ohms of capacitive reactance -
so the message is that the equivalent series capacitance is NEGLIGIBILY
LARGE!! (LARGE is GOOD!)  If  you had measured at a frequency where the
reactance cancellatio was exact and perfect, the driving point impedance
would be pure real, with 0 reactance that would correspond to infinite
capacitance or 0 inductance.

The real part of your driving point impedance is 59.5 ohms real, resulting
in a VSWR od 1.23:1!! So near a "perfect match" that you won't improve it
significantly, even if you did an AWFUL LOT of work to make a trivially
small change in the tap point of your wire cage!! The mismatch loss at
1.23:1 VSWR  is essentially 0, and the excess loss in a feedline operating
at 1.23:1 VSWR is essentially 0, and the loss in even a very long run of
coax would be essentially equal to the "flat' loss - that is: the loss in a
"flat" line operated  at 1:1 VSWR.

So, Larry, you've done  a GREAT job on your TX antenna. And do keep in mind
that you have 24 feet of boom up there that's top-loading that 94' of Rohn
25! Just congratulate yourself on a job well done, and ENJOY!! If you want
to worki on topband antennas - work on Beverages or terminated loop receive
antennas to help you HEAR better!

Great job!  Have fun and enjoy!

BTW - I AM an RF engineer and I have spent q lot of my career designing and
measuring antennas

73,
Charlie, K4OTV