Topband

Topband: WD1A

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: WD1A
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:05:17 -0400
There are no perfect solutions for Beverage wire and all have problems.

Military commo wire is normally used in short term tactical telephone
systems and sees usage from a few days to a few weeks. As units move, the
wire is recovered and reused. For longer term strategic installations
multi-connector wire is used and it is much more robust.

The WD1A we can currently get was designed for the newer digital telephone
systems that came on line in the late 70's and 80's. It replaced the older
more robust WD1 tip and ring phone systems.

For bi-directional Beverage antenna systems, WD1A works well but as Paul has
described. BUT there are issues in the NE with trees and limbs falling,
moose and deer crossing not to mention vandalism from hunters and other wood
walkers. Trying to mitigate damage from a falling branch using his strain
relief is a great idea. I do the same when I attach the antenna to the trees
on insulators by a very loose slip knot.

You have to remember however that WD1A is not designed for long term
installations. The PE and steel wire have strength but not enough to survive
direct impact from trees, humans or animals.

Craig K1QX

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK