Topband

Re: [TowerTalk] [Elecraft] Milt Sullivan, RL Drake Chief Engineer, SK

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, Bill Frost <wd8dfp@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Elecraft] Milt Sullivan, RL Drake Chief Engineer, SK
From: Alan Bloom <n1al@cds1.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:59:33 -0800
Milt was a good guy.  I believe his title was VP of Engineering when I
was there 1976-1979.  Even though he was supposed to be an executive at
that point he still loved to get his hands dirty.  I remember him coming
up with creative ideas to solve engineering problems on some designs I
was working on at the time.  For example, the MN2700 kilowatt antenna
tuner required some high-voltage, high-current fixed capacitors.  We
were quoted a ridiculously high price and a 6-month lead time by the
vendor.  So we figured out a way to make our own capacitors from Teflon
printed circuit board (for low loss / high Q) spray-painted with Q dope
to prevent corona discharge.

Milt was a realist about project management.  He was very aware that
engineers have a tendency to try to design everything to perfection,
regardless of the schedule or cost.  He had a sign over his desk that
read, "Good enough is better than perfect."

Alan N1AL