Topband

Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?

To: JC <n4is@comcast.net>, Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?
From: Petr Ourednik <indians@xsmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 10:52:14 +0100
Hi all,

the split JA operation schema for decades ago was:
JA TX > 1907.5 - 1912.5kHz and listen for rest or worls in between 1820
- 1825kHz.
This "JA window" 1907.5 - 1912.5kHz has been not used in contests from
1999 by JARL
because the band was too narrow. The SSB was not permitted.
I worked several JA topbanders over there split down to 1820 - 1825kHz.

According to the Ministry's announcement, effective April 1st 2000,
additional 15kHz, i.e. from 1810 kHz to 1825 kHz, has been allocated for
amateur radio use. The announcement was available in the
Japanese language at
http://www.mpt.go.jp/top/public-comment/public-comment000207.html
but it does not work I guess.

You might be interested in JA band plans which is available here.
http://www.jarl.or.jp/English/6_Band_Plan/JapaneseAmateurBandplans20090330.pdf
Some additional notes to the figure:
NB Phone = SSB, AM
NB Image = SSTV
NB Data = RTTY, PSK31, JT modes etc
(but no RTTY on 2200 and 160m)
WB Phone = FM
WB Data = Packet
(tnx to Rin, JG1VGX)

Regarding the DX window down on TB I am trying simply not calling CQ in
between 1825 - 1835kHz
from EU. In fact my CQ is even not so effective from my fixed QTH as my
receiving performance is not
the best so I would not like to bother on the band when I am not able to
hear weak sigs coming back.
In general calling CQ with just few sec of hearing to repeat CQ again is
terrible technique which is not
applicable on TB I guess. When I am calling CQ I am trying to listenning
with switching between all of
my RX antennas combination to ensure that nobody is calling me... so in
my case I need to listenning
between each CQ at least 30-45sec I guess.

Also there are bad spots (forbidden QRG) on TB which should be avoided
for CQ.
1820 is often jammed by radar from China in JA
1818 strong QRM from local GPS correction on 1818 in ZL

To keep the Gentlemen band (better to say > give it back to the old ages
Gentlemen shape) we should
strictly observing basic gentlemen agreement...

My 2c...

73 - Petr, OK1RP
http://160mband.blogspot.com