Topband

Re: Topband: QRP on 160?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QRP on 160?
From: "Jim F. via Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2024 00:06:51 +0000 (UTC)
Interesting and at my old location and in my 60sI won a couple of 160m
contesting QRP awards at5 watts CW for New England and NH.Thats not saying much
because I won a certificatefor QRP SSB with only 5 contacts on 160m.

In my mid 80s now I need plenty of sleep and
being in a condo the antenna has to be put up
before and taken down right after any contest
to avoid exciting the Condo board.
Whatever your passion is do it with enthusiasmfor self enjoyment..
Jim Fitton W1FMR, NH.

Jim

    On Monday, July 1, 2024, 2:27:37 PM EDT, Jim Brown
<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On 7/1/2024 10:57 AM, Radio KH6O wrote:
> Is anyone regularly using say, 25W or less on 160?

Years ago, I ran 5W in pursuit of QRP WAS in 160 CW contests from my QTH
near San Francisco, and was down to needing three states -- WV, SC, and
VT. About 8 years ago, the explosion of RX noise caught up with that.
About six years ago, I managed a sked with a WV station on JT65, and
completed with him. An FT8 sked with W1UE remoting a VT station a few
years later was unsuccessful.

Running QRP in those days, KL7RA, KH6LC, and NO3M nearly always heard my
first call, and K1KI had pretty good ears.

I still will often call an Expedition running 5W, and often make the
QSO. I'm guessing it's because they're in places that are remote enough
that noise levels are low.

73, Jim K9YC