Topband

Topband: S9SS - Better Luck Next Year

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: S9SS - Better Luck Next Year
From: s9ss160m at yahoo.com (charles Lewis)
Date: Sun Apr 13 10:36:32 2003
It appears the season for any likely success between
S9 and North America is past.  I have had very little
luck even with Europe over the past few weeks due to
heavy Equatorial QRN. In fact, I've had many
thunderstorms in the immediate vicinity of Sao Tome
Island. I can only operate the requisite late hours on
the weekend.  It seems the few times the band has
sounded fairly workable recently, it has been too
crowded due to one contest or another for me to do any
good.

Thanks to everyone who helped me to improve my
receiving situation.  It was well into the season
before I built the pennant.  It definitely helped, as
did the filters and preamp folks donated. Now that I
have these, I will be able to begin early next season
with better reception capabilities than I had much of
this season. In the meantime, I will point the pennant
towards VK land and try to give our top band friends
there an S9 QSO during their winter season.

On another subject, over the past four months I have
pieced together a somewhat crude pictoral tour of the
Voice of America transmitting station that I manage.
(I live on its grounds.)  The "tour" is composed of 14
emails that I have sent to some of my radio friends.
The textual descriptions are mostly based on my poor
memory from reading training manuals way back in '96.
I'm sure there are some inaccuracies. Some would be
due to my faulty memory; others would stem from my
attempt to greatly simplify for the sake of my radio
friends who are not very deeply involved in the
technical side of radio.  I'm offering to send these
emails to any of my top band frinds who are interested
as long as you understand they were not intended to be
technical treatises.  In other words, I don't want to
have to duck any brickbats thrown my way by
nit-picking techno-geeks.  HI!

73,
Charles - S9SS

http://tax.yahoo.com