Topband

Re: Topband: Radial Integrity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial Integrity
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:22:44 -0400
Quoting Gerard Jendraszkiewicz <jend@uchicago.edu>:

> Is there some way to see if a radial is still intact ? I have buried
> radials and over time I think some have been broken. Any way to check ?

Jerry if you have access to a Field Strength meter with a loop antenna (or
make your own with a microamp meter and 1N34 type diodes and a small loop of
wire taped to the bottom of a broom stick) set the transmitter to a level
sufficient to achieve a reading at the point of radial attachment.
While walking along the radial path with the loop close to ground a sharp
dip or level drop off should normally occur when you get to a break in the
radial.

Herb, KV4FZ