Topband

Re: Topband: Snow plus vertical

To: "WY7I" <wy7i@earthlink.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Snow plus vertical
From: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:56:44 +0000
At 11:49 2008-02-28 , WY7I wrote:
>Hi Topbanders,
>
>Here's something that's bugging me, and perhaps a few of you fellow
snow-cats can give me some advice.

>I'm considering a triangle of MA160V's (Cushcraft) along with radial
plates on each. The problem is that here in Southern Colorado, we receive
about 4-8 feet of snow during the winter. It seems obvious that I can't
ground mount the hot side of the vertical because it will get covered up.
SO, I'm going to raise it up by mounting it on top of a steel tube that
runs down into the radial plate. It would look sort of like an umbrella
stand for your outside patio umbrella.

>I'm not familiar with this antenna yet, but--what will happen if I raise
the feed point up? I'm thinking that the 7' tube, being connected to the
radial system will work as normal. Will the elevated feed point affect the
impedance?

>Any comments on this idea?
>
>Regards to all,
>
>Paul
>WY7I

Paul, I have a number of verticals for 160m -> 40m that have the base
covered in deep snow during the winter, and I see no problems at all. I
would not go through the trouble of trying to elevate the base 7' because
of snow.

73 de Peter SM2CEW
www.sm2cew.com