Topband

Re: Topband: Twin Lead Marconi Antenna

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Twin Lead Marconi Antenna
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:42:39 -0700
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:10:08 -0400 (EDT), k8gg@voyager.net wrote:

>The problem with a 180 foot long inverted-L antenna is that over
>half of the wire is horizontal so the majority of the radiation
>is nearly vertical.

I disagree. Radiation is the result of CURRENT. Your analysis
assumes that current is evenly distributed along the wire. It is
not!  The high current parts of the antenna are still vertical.
The additional length simply varies the impedance of the antenna
at the feedpoint. Yes, there will be some radiation from the
horizontal part, and the greater length will vary the vertical
pattern. And, as Herb has observed, the greater length will
increase radiation resistance, which in turn reduces ground
losses.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC