Topband

Topband: Confusion in ON4UN's Low Band DXing radiallengthcalculations.

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Confusion in ON4UN's Low Band DXing radiallengthcalculations.
From: k1fz@myfairpoint.net
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:55:57 -0500

 The on/in ground wire- as RF advances toward the normal 1/4 wave high
 impedance (/high voltage point)  finds itself tightly coupled to a +-
 350 ohm typical ground resistance. 'Hogs the voltage right down'

 Many  Shorter radials do not develop enough high voltage, not
 reaching 1/4 wave.

 Multiple radials divide the loss like resistors in parallel. lowering
 the  Q,   lower impedance, with lower voltage, being  pulled down
 results in less voltage leakage at the far ends.

73
 Bruce-K1FZ
 www.qsl.net/k1fz/beveragenotes.html

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:21:12 -0500, k8bhz@hughes.net wrote:
 I can’t agree with this “conventional” thinking. Why does a piece
 of wire magically lose it’s length just because you lay it on the
 ground? The electrical length changes because of Vf, and it’s
 resistance changes because of the lossy ground, but it’s still a
 piece of wire. I’m going to try to attach a posting I did back in
 2006. If it doesn’t work, I will follow with a separate posting.

 > Brian K8BHZ

 resonance for them is not necessary.

 > If you tune a quarter wave wire up in the air - then lay it onto
 the ground - it couples to the ground and is no longer a distinct
 single piece of wire. Just make them an easy length to deal with and
 put as many of them down as you can.

----- End forwarded message -----