Topband

Topband: Top-Band Remininences - My Old Sao Tome 160M Contact Totals

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Top-Band Remininences - My Old Sao Tome 160M Contact Totals
From: charles Lewis via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:16:06 +0000 (UTC)
I decided to use my LoTW log entries to see how many 160M contacts I made from
Sao Tome long ago.  Given the extreme problem with constant high level of QRN I
experienced there, I was surprised by the totals.
S92SS  ('92-''97)    1,606S9SS  ('02-'07)    1847
Total  3453
That represents a tremendous amount of difficult operating time.  QSO's were
usually minutes apart as I waited for a signal to rise to the crest of the
constant grind of S9 plus QRN from equatorial thunderstorms across the African
continent.  Some find it hard to believe, but I seldom heard any evidence of a
pileup, just the occasional signal that exceeded the noise level.  It usually
took many repetitions for me to piece a call sign together.  Many stations
faded back into the noise before I got the complete call sign. Yes, I was
"deaf" as many cited on the cluster, but I did my best.

73,Charles Lewis - KY4P
ex K4OVA, A22AA, S92SS, SV0LM, A25/KY4P, S9SS