Topband

Re: Topband: ARRL 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:33:37 -0700
Jose,

First thank you for the QSO.  You are one of the few Europeans I have worked on 160 with my very modest station in southern Arizona and are a new one for me.

I think the that the key here is "a few Hz" offset.  Of course 100 Hz is more than a few and would be too much for a receiving station with a 50 Hz filter in use.  I will just turn on XIT and dial in +/- 20 - 30 Hz.

As a practical matter in my case, I will in all likelihood not be heard in any pileup of central or east coast USA stations anyway.

Wes  N7WS

On 12/7/2017 10:53 AM, Jose Ramon wrote:
That's not going to work often during a contest. It depends on how crowded
is the band you stretch or narrow your passband. When a narrow filter is
set if you call 100 Hz away we won't hear you.
During a dxp the scenario is quite different, you're the alone, I normally
set, whenever is possible, the widest passband so I can hear anyone on the
split within 2,5 KHz, the brain does the rest.

Thanks for the last weekend ARRL contest QSOs.

73
Jose, EA7KW

Shh.  You're giving away my secrets.

Wes  N7WS

On 12/7/2017 10:07 AM, marsh@ka5m.net wrote:

I respectfully disagree with Don Kirk. My experience has been different. I
don't how many pileups I've broken quickly - where the station I'm trying
work is operating simplex - by going split and transmitting a few Hz above
or below "zero beat". The operator at the other end is trying to copy a
callsign, and if everybody is "zero beat" it makes it very difficult to
copy
anybody. Anything you can do to make your signal "stand out" or
differentiate it from the crowd makes it easier for the station you're
trying to work. (Also speeding up or slowing down a few WPM sometimes
helps.)

Someone taught me this a long time ago, and it works. He's worked a lot of
good DX in the last sixty (60) years or so.

73,
Marsh, KA5M