Topband

Topband: Extraordinary conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Extraordinary conditions
From: sire@omen.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:37:08 +0800
Extraordinary conditions here in Glen Forrest, Western Australia on 160m
today around sunrise.

I came on 160m about half an hour before sunrise (2128Z) and found a few G
signals around S4 - S6.  I quickly worked G3LZQ, G4RCG, G3GLL and G3SJJ.

The G signals rapidly built in strength and increased in number and at
around 2124Z, several were hitting S9.  A listen 1KHz up from XZ0A (who was
S9) produced a similar signal level from Jack VE1ZZ, who was a solid S9/S9+
at 2124Z and the loudest I have ever heard him (calling the XZ0, I think).
I could not believe how strong he was - just like a local VK6!

A quick spin of the dial showed the band absolutely chockfull of G/GW
stations, all at least S6 and some S9.

However, within a minute or two, most of these signals that had suddenly
appeared had just as quickly disappeared, leaving only the previous
stronger signals.  I worked G0IVZ, GW3KDB, G4BJM, UU4JM and a final QSO
with Svein LA3XI at 2140Z.  G3LZQ, G3SJJ and  G0IVZ were still audible at
2146Z - 17 minutes after sunrise.

At this point, I quickly put the rig onto 80/75m and spun the dial.  The
higher band was virtually dead, with only a few S2 - S3 signals.

The strength AND brevity of the major part of the opening was one of the
strangest things I have heard on 160m this year.

All signals were copied/worked on an inverted vee dipole with its apex at 90'.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ
CQ 160 - the Twilight Zone