Topband

Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:56:27 +0000
Out of curiosity... with so many narrow-pattern receive antenna configs, how do
typical contest stations check different directions after a CQ? Frank, I still
want to come visit your station during a test and see how it all works.

Diversity and stereo headphones gets you to two different directions but I
wonder if there's some more powerful technique.

My station is much more modest, just a K9AY loop, and I rigged up a footswitch
system to let me scan different directions after CQ'ing in the contests. Still,
Bernie at J77A told me that I was ignoring him after my CQ's during the CQ 160
CW, and I'm guessing that's because I was mostly listening to the NE for Europe
and neglecting to scan the other directions.

Also, another one I suspect I may have missed by not rotating receive
religiously, was ZS6EZ, who I heard clear as day doing S&P with others.

Tim N3QE