Topband

Re: Topband: circular polarization on 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: circular polarization on 160m
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 05:45:31 -0800
On 2014-02-04 11:02, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:

loss of signal results. I would also presume that the construction of a good CP antenna for 160 would be very difficult to perfect. I have seen
some antennas for AMSAT work attempting to produce a CP type antenna by
have two interlaced yagis, one vertical and the other horizontal, one
space 1/4 wave in front of the other, and  with a quarter wave delay

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

FWIW, I used to know a fellow who got his PhD in antennas working
under W8JK at Ohio State University.  He worked on a very large HF
helix antenna that I believe was circularly polarized.  It was basically
a cloud warmer pointed straight up.  It was suspended from some really
large towers.  This work was done in the 1950's or 1960's.  I don't know
what the lower frequency limit of it was.

Rick N6RK