Topband

Re: Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use
From: kostas sv1dpi <sv1dpi@otenet.gr>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:18:08 +0200
Unfortunately webSDR are widely used from many hams around the world. I wonder why webSDR owners don't add 5 seconds delay to their software. This way we will have just all the goodies without problems. So some of us want and encourage this one.

There are also people who use (hiring or not) remote stations in another country while they sign from the home country. While I was in Iran as EP6T I heard some USA stations calling me with stronger signals than Europeans in time where the USA path was closed. Sorry I don't remember calls. I am sure that Europeans do this much more with Pacific DXpeditions as I consider that USA hams are honest. This way I remember some calls but I can not mention them as I can not prove it.

Many use webSDR in contests also. In last year's 160m cw contest, a station near me started calling in the same freq with me. He was 9+60 to me. Except the fact that he was not using legal power, he couldn't listen me while I was trying to say QSY! After some CQs he was working a Japanese pileup. I could not hear the most of them even I had a 600ft beverage to JA! The worst I couldn't bother him even I continued to call CQ for about 10min! He was using a webSDR for sure. Some of my friends in Japan thought that their systems work well that night as they were heard to Europe but probably it was not the true.

The worst of all is that nobody seems to care about all these. ARRL likes the fact that more stations will submit his 80 and 160m slot and they will get some more cents. Most of the hams like that they worked a new one and don't care how the other one listen them or how they listen him. A friend of mine used webSDR for listening and when I told him why he does it, he answered that he has noise and if the signal goes from SV to USA, comes from USA to SV as well. He can not listen him because the big noise!

The main problem is what Steve mentioned: ok I don't use webSDR myself as I don't approve them but how I know what the other station does. And after some points of view where some of us find it more or less normal, I wonder which is better: to abandon the ham radio hobby or to hire my station for remote use?

73 Kostas SV1DPI
22 years in ham radio