Topband

Re: Topband: Non-resonant receive antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Non-resonant receive antennas
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:49:23 -0800
On 2014-12-20 13:06, Richard Jaeger wrote:

I guess I should try a low dipole and see what happens.

Dick, K4IQJ ..

When talking about a low dipole, the question comes up
as to why it must be low to work.  Actually we don't
know that it must be low to work.  Very few of us are
in a position to put up a "high" dipole, so the question
is basically moot.  However, in an attempt to gauge the
influence of height, I A/B'ed two full size dipoles at
30 and 60 foot heights over a period of 6 months.  The
one not in use was floating to avoid interaction with
the active one.

I never noticed any difference in receiving performance.
What seems to happen is that the signals are a few dB
higher on the 60 foot wire, but the noise is commensurately
higher.  30 feet was chosen for the minimum so that
the wires didn't look like beverages (and because I have
a bunch of 30 foot lengths of pipe).

Rick N6RK