Topband

Re: Topband: Local Noise Environment

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Local Noise Environment
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:21:45 -0400

Pete Smith wrote:

I am trying to figure out my local noise environment and understand what (if anything) I can do to correct it.

Pete, It is easier if you can find the source. Use an inexpensive battery operated multi-band AM short-wave radio and begin with the AM loop to get some idea of directivity. Then switch to higher bands. (The antenna is generally then the telescopic whip on the radio.) As you go higher in frequency on the radio and still hear the noise you are getting closer to the source. Reducing the length of the whip while sort of act like an attenuator. As you get up to the 20 to 30 Mhz range and still hear the noise you can then walk a pattern. When the noise is the strongest you are most likely within 50 to 75 feet from the source where a visual inspection can isolate possible sources. The power company can be called to check pole hardware, cutouts, reclosures etc, with their hot stick. Sometimes banging the pole with a sledge hammer will make the noise come and go or increase or decrease the amount. This is normally a sign of loose pole hardware. (If a neighbor sees you do it they may call 911!) Shaking pole guys can also reveal some interesting things but this could be dangerous without hot glove in some case is is not recommended. (Lines and even pole pigs are known to fall in some bad installs, so be very careful.)

I hope this may help you locate the problem.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ