Topband

[Fwd: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...]

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...]
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:15:04 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...
Date:   Fri, 20 Aug 2004 06:57:01 -0400
From:   Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
To:     Ford Peterson <ford@cmgate.com>

Ford,

I just recall from the original Beverage 1922 paper that the true characteristic and performance of a classic Beverage are enhanced by relatively poor soil under the length of the wire creating the wave tilt required. In other words a good ground at each end is the key, I would imagine. Also a Beverage over a salt marsh or salt water is not supposed to be all that hot. My advise, don't run a ground wire under any Beverage, although with a multiwire one all bets may be off, but I am not sure. But I understand a ground return underneath may not be the way to go. I think it would be preferable to terminate with the correct impedance, transformer or no transformer. Using a Vactrol or a 2K non inductive pot may be the easier way to make it work. Send the RX audio out on a 2 meter simplex frequency while listening to a Ground wave AM station in the undesired direction with the BFO on.(Try the expanded band from 1700 on done till you get the station you need. The FCC online Media Bureau data base will give you power and location) Adjust the pot for the greatest rejection in the undesired direction. That is the way I have done it for years and I still think it is the easiest way to get something to happen for you. You can always replace the pot if you wish with the correct fixed value. However, sometimes with seasonal changes the soil resistance, especially in cold climates, or during rainy seasons, will change and thus you might want to check the best null at different times of the year.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Ford Peterson wrote:

It seems to me that I've seen some discussion about running a wire on the ground along the length of a beverage to connect the grounds between the feed point and the termination. Is this true? This 1 wavelength beverage is 9' off what appears to be very high conductivity soil. I'm using a transformer instead of resistors to terminate the end, which means I need a pretty good ground return to make it work correctly. Would another run of wire help?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com