Topband

Re: Topband: My take on ARRL 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: My take on ARRL 160
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 10:09:44 -0500
Hi All,

Well, my station here is HARDLY the "...last word" when it comes to contesting
& the 160-meter band...

But I must say, I really & truly enjoy getting on the ARRL Topband event (been
doing it, off & on, since the mid 70's), and giving the ON multiplier to those
seeking new sections to work---especially to those guys out in the west coast,
many of whom seem to be genuinely thrilled to work across the continent, if
judging by the added "TU" & "GL" that many add at the conclusion of their
exchange is any indicator...

I recall back in my formative forays on the band that working into 6- & 7-land
was a real joy for me: I think that it still is that way for many who may be
just "...getting their feet wet" for the first time on 1.8-MHz.

Why deny these newbies a venue to flex their muscles this way? As has been
already pointed-out here, there are ample opportunities for the established
seasoned DX'ers amongst us to strut their stuff each season on other
contests---so what if the ARRL affair is, in essence, a "WAS party"...?
Everyone has to start somewhere---the neophyte whom you thrilled last night by
working him could very well be the next Big Gun competing shoulder-to-shoulder
with you in an event coming your way very soon.

Rather than decry the format of the event, why not celebrate it as a potential
birthplace for to-morrow's contestors...?

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK