Topband

Re: Topband: Receivers

To: Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receivers
From: "ROBERT EVANS" <revans@sarnoff.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:55:33 -0500
from elecraft the K2
http://www.elecraft.com/

and the old ft1000mp and even older ft1000D
with the inrad mods
http://www.qth.com/inrad/index.htm

AND even older and gooder...
I sent an e-mail to K4ZS about a comment on the Drake web page
that runs contrary to the experience of many contesters, Rob
Sherwood's measurements, and my own measurements.

Anyone planning on using the R4C in contests or for DXing should
avoid receivers below SN 18700 or so. The dead giveaway is the
front panel, where the CW 1.5 position indicates a receiver with
good second mixer.

Also, anyone doing CW contesting or serious CW DX work will
absolutely want the Sherwood 600 Hz first IF filter. The weakest
part of the receiver is the second mixer, even when it has the
6BE6.

You can find actual measurements that verify this at
www.sherweng.com

My own measurements agree closely with measurements at this
site. Check the Dynamic range specs for a stock R4C, and one
with the CF/600/6. Pay particular attention to the narrow spaced
test, because that most closely emulates what we run into on 160
meters.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com
... end quote.