Topband

Re: Topband: conditions this morning

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: conditions this morning
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:13:10 -0500
John Kaufmann wrote:

>I've also heard VK6VZ a couple times on LP this month, in daylight just before
>my sunset.  That LP is very marginal this time of year because there is
>essentially no darkness overlap between W1 and VK6 around local sunset.

Don't give up on that path just because you have no darkness overlap. It
may be different for you, but from here in central Maine I was able to
work VK6HD last season while we were both in daylight. More than once.
In the most extreme case I believe Mike was about 20 minutes past
sunrise and I was about 20 minutes before sunset. I had the feeling it
could be pushed even further.

I haven't been able to hear the VK6s long path in recent weeks, even
though they are being heard further south and west. Not a whisper of
them here, which stands in sharp contrast to last season when they were
frequently workable with good signals.

Who knows, it is top band. I am finally starting to appreciate just how
unpredictable it is and that the only way to be really successful is to
BE THERE constantly and see what you can get!

73,
Paul N1BUG