Topband

Topband: CW speed

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CW speed
From: "David J. Schmocker" <kj9i@netins.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:53:45 +0000
Everyone:

Having worked topband from various DX locations very high QRN, I found
the advantage of higher-speed CW under a few rare conditions is you can
copy more characters between 59+20dB "long hold" static crashes.
Perhaps that's the JD1 operator's aim.  My recommendation is always
adjust your speed to that which the DX is using.  Follow his lead..
there's usually a reason he's doing what he's doing.

Interestingly, this same topic (CW speed) is debated/discussed in the
weak-signal moon-bounce arena.  While some prefer 20 WPM, many operate
faster because it suits their ability to copy weak signals best.

73,

David Schmocker KJ9I
VK9ZM, VK9ZW, VP8SSI, VP8CBG, VP8CBA, T88II