Topband

Topband: VP6DX Very Loud

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: VP6DX Very Loud
From: Ed Gray W0SD <w0sd@triotel.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:35:43 -0600
VP6DX was unbelievably loud here this morning.  A true S-9+ signal being
the strongest at 1315z. They were louder on the 1/4 wave vertical than
the drooping dipole at 195 feet.

This is the best I have heard them but they have always been copy able
when I have listened at the proper time.

They have a lot of experience and that is valuable and you obviously
have to be able to hear to be able to work people.  The thing I keep
wondering about is why I don't hear a lot more good signals on 160M.
Many people could run the power they are running.  Many people could run
the antenna they are running.  The hardest work would be putting down
the radials which I don't know how many they put down but a lot of
people could do that.

The only reasons that I can come up with is the proximity to the salt
water and a southerly path.  They are not going though the magnetic
field as we have to the north from here.  As I mentioned certainly for
other stations to somewhat do what they are doing they need to be able
to hear and on a deserted island there should not be a lot of man made
noise and they have good beverages so that is a big plus but on transmit
it seems a lot of operations could duplicate what they are doing so
there must be other factors.

So some of you that know a lot more about the top band than I do why are
they so loud?

Ed W0SD