Topband

Topband: FW: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down to apartment com

To: "topband (topband@contesting.com)" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FW: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down to apartment complex
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 20:57:37 +0000
To add to what Jim had said about this "smells like a Variable Frequency Drive
[VFD]" (which I also think is probably what you're seeing here):

VFDs operate by varying the power to a three phase motor to control speed and
torque. This is done through PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) at a frequency in the
kHz+ range. They rely on the inductance of the motor windings to integrate the
switching waveform into essentially a sine wave of varying voltage and
frequency. Since the motor itself is part of the filter network, the wiring
between the VFD and the motor can sometimes radiate. VFDs will commonly specify
that the wiring between the drive and the motor be of no more than a specific
length (which is usually relatively short such as 20-50 feet or so), and that
it be in a *metal* conduit which helps with shielding. You should check that
the cabling between the VFD and the motor was installed properly.

The other possibility is that noise is coming from the supply lines (the normal
AC supply wiring) to the VFD. This is probably less likely than the
VFD-to-motor wiring, but it's something to check. You can get a "reactor" to
use for helping with AC line distortion that might also help with reducing
radiated noise if it's coming from the power wiring. The reactors are just
small inductors that help to "round off" the switching transients produced by
the rectifier in the VFD.

Good luck in your worthy quest to eradicate some RFI!

  -Bill