Topband

Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question
From: Garry Shapiro <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:05:50 -0800
Aren't there several issues being discussed simultaneously here?

1. The question asked was about the "basic" two-wire Beverage using, in
lieu of a reflection transformer, one wire grounded and the other open,
to effect a reflection/conversion from balanced to unbalanced to convey
the far-end signal back to the feed-end. Devoldere points out that,
while this "works". there is a 2:1 impedance mismatch, which is avoided
by use of a proper reflection transformer.

An interesting aspect of using two ports is that a mismatch of either
mostly degrades F/B ratio. This is seen by tracing the path and phase
reversals of the reflected components due to mismatch. But the same
effect can be had with a  single feed, since the Beverage is, in either
case a two-port network.

2. Misek pointed out that if separate feedlines were employed for each
direction (supposedly for either the one-end feed or both-end feed), and
brought back to the shack, they could be combined with a tunable circuit
to create a steerable rearward null. I believe RCA and others built
Beverage arrays that utilized this and other types of combining back in
the early days of the Wave Antenna.

Garry, NI6T

On 11/20/2010 6:01 PM, Milt, N5IA wrote:
> Ken,
>
> I have been constructing 2-wire Beverages for the past 15 years using
> separate feeds for each direction.  In fact, I have never constructed them
> any other way.  My reasoning for doing this is as follows.
>
> Besides 4 different fields of Bevs at home and other close to home
> locations, I also was instrumental in constructing the Bev RX antennas at
> VP6DX in 2008.  All have been done with separate coax feeds from each 2-wire
> antenna feed point.
>
> In contesting environments and DXpedition environments each feedline is
> signal split for feeding independent switching from each operating position
> for 160, 80, 75 and at times 40 meters.  All antenna azimuths are
> simultaneously available for any operating position.
>
> This is not possible with the single feedline application with switche
> directions.  The 2 feedline app is also advantageous in SO2R low band
> contesting so that both the main RX and the sub RX or separate RX can each
> independently select any azimuth available.
>
> I trust this will help your decision making.
>
> Milt, N5IA

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK