Topband

Re: Topband: [Bulk] Shunt Feed - Insulated Elements on Yagi

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Shunt Feed - Insulated Elements on Yagi
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:05:47 -0800
I'm considering insulating elements on large yagis and would like to understand pro's and con's of various boom to element plate insulating materials - RF insulation, physical strength, creep, uv resistance, etc. These raw material properties are easily found, but have some had longer term in use experience worth sharing?

73,

Grant KZ1W

On 12/18/2014 3:43 AM, Stan Stockton wrote:
I have never had an issue with this on any tower I have shunt fed that had
a Yagi at the top with insulated elements, but then again my insulators are
probably a lot better than the average ones used on commerical antennas.  I
am thinking about shunt feeding a tower that is not mine and wanted to know
whether anyone has had any issue runniing 1500 watts to a shunt fed tower
that has a Yagi at the top with insulated elements.  Im not wanting to
ground elements and don't need additional top loading.  What I would like
to know is anyone has done any damage or melted anything.

Thanks...Stan, K5GO