Topband

Topband: Shunt fed tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt fed tower
From: "John Harden, D.M.D." <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 11:46:06 -0400
Interesting to see all of the comments about feeding a vertical antenna....

I use a 100 foot 45G tower with a shunt feed for top band. Because the tower is
festooned with rotary antennas for 80 - 1-0 meters my shunt wire cage is only
30 feet high and about a foot from the tower. I use an omega match.

I have a 2000 pfd vacuum variable in series and a 1000 pfd vacuun variable to
ground. It is flat at 1825 kHz. I use 32 radials and have a very competitive
top band antenna signal from a 1 acre city lot in Atlanta.

I set tune the array at the tower base with an MFJ antenna analyzer. The
capacitiors are in a plastic enclosure that I got from Mouser. It has a door on
hinges and is waterproof.

73,

John, W4NU
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK