Topband

Topband: Interesting Loop Antenna Design and EZNEC

To: Group Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Interesting Loop Antenna Design and EZNEC
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:05:19 -0700 (PDT)
Playing with a loop design and EZNEC I modeled a square loop 12' above the
ground, 16' boom and 16' high. Corners at the top and bottom.

First shot was a source at one end of the boom and an 800 ohm resistor at the
other boom end corner. The result is a pattern with a very deep null off one
end and an average gain of about -47 DB.

Out of curisority I took out the resistor and put in a second source. By
adjusting the phasing on the second source to about 13 degrees I can get the
same or deeper null pattern with the average gain of about -16 DB.

Does this mean the loop would RX 30 DB better and still have as good or better
nulling?

If you vary the size of the loop, you have to change the phasing degrees to get
the null to peak. A loop 4 feet on a side shows the deep null at 6 degrees and
average gain of -28 DB.

These were all done over Real/mininec ground.

Anyone tried this in the real world? As soon as I finish my bathroom remodel I
might build on up and see.

Any comments?

Rick, N6PE
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK