Topband

Re: Topband: 3b7c

To: Topband Band <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 3b7c
From: John Bastin <bastinj@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:37:04 -0400
On Sep 20, 2007, at 11:40 AM, A. C. Frame, Jr. wrote:

> Last evening 3B7C was a solid 479 in central Virginia and they must
> have been heard over much of the central and eastern US as well.
> From 2kc to 10kc above his frequency was a solid wall of continous
> callers..   The op at 3B7C responded to one W4 for at least 10
> calls before he responded.

I was hearing him very well here. Apparently a lot of the people
calling weren't. That didn't stop them from calling, though.

>   3b7c seemed to have great difficulty picking out a station and
> then it seemed NO ONE would stop calling long enough for them to
> complete and exchange.

I can imagine how frustrating it must have been to the 3B7C operator.

>   Finally about 30 minutes before his sunrise 3B7C just
> quit!  or something changed as there was no more signal.

He moved to SSB on 1842. Unfortunately I couldn't hear him nearly as
well there. Not well enough to justify calling him.

>     The pack called for another 10 minutes!!   Real operating
> technique!!
>             73
>                 W4HJ

Looks like it's going to be an interesting season. The tuners with
keyboards and code readers make it a joy for us all...:-/

73,

John Bastin, K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com