Topband

Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 09:44:12 -0800
On 12/2/2020 12:02 PM, Joe wrote:
Our club is working on a project where we will be able to use a AM Broadcast antenna on 160 meters.

Joe WB9SBD
   Th

I wouldn't get too excited about this project.
The big groundplane is nice, but doesn't replace
the "vertical on the beach" at all.  The 5/8
wavelength height is good for a few dB at the
most, and even that isn't guaranteed.   Then
as K9YC found out, there is the matter of receiving.W
Especially receiving while the station is broadcasting.
Before even beginning this project, I would advise
installing a temporary receiving loop at the site
and nulling the AM station as best you can.  Needless
to say, you can't use varactors to tune the loop.
See if you can hear W1AW as a start.  That should
be duck soup from 9-land.  Good luck.

YMMV.

73
Rick N6RK