Topband

Re: Topband: Detuning Relay Flyback Diode

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Detuning Relay Flyback Diode
From: Brian Pease <bpease2@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 11:30:31 -0500
You can put the diode directly across just the LED if the relay speed is important.  The LED series resistor won't slow it much.

On 12/23/2017 11:15 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
Brad,

If you use an LED with a dropping resistor across the coil to monitor relay
status, then you must use a fly-back diode.  The coil of the type you're
using will produce substantial EMF as power is removed and the coil field
rapidly collapses.  The collapsing field will produce E-I beyond the LED's
maximum ratings.  Failure occurs even when the LED is current-limited
through a series dropping resistor.

On my remote-controlled homebrew balanced tuner, I was replacing LEDs until
I discovered that the collapsing vacuum relay field was immediately burning
out LEDs.  Never a problem after installing 1N400X fly-back diodes.

Paul, W9AC