Topband

Topband: Fw: Made it! 80 Years a Ham

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fw: Made it! 80 Years a Ham
From: HAROLD SMITH JR <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:53:15 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Paul, Really nice that you made it.
My class B license was issued Dec 7th, 1950. I was  16 years. Boy that 13 WPM
code was fast. Now mostly over 20 WPM. My original call was W0CKC.  I got
my class A license a year later and my Extra in 1968. In 1975, having my
license for 25 years, I got the call W0RI. I was wanting W0RF but the FCC sat
on my application. This was right after they quit giving out call of ones
choice. I got W0CKC back as a club call for the St. Louis Low-Banders Club. I
was DL4SH when in the Army in Germany, 1959 to 1960.  Worked 100 countries with
50 watts to a 6146 and gnd plane. Used an old NC-44 receiver.
As one knows, back in the 50s most Xmitters were home made. I did get a BC458
and adjusted the VFO condenser for 40 meters. Made a lot of TVI.  I enjoyed
reading you post.
73 and many more years.
Price W0RI