Topband

Re: Topband: twisted house wiring

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: twisted house wiring
From: Brian Pease <bpease2@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:13:10 -0500
I installed a vanity in a old house in New London, CT. The BX only had 2 wires for the original light & 2-prong outlet. Fortunately the jacket was grounded although it had never been connected to the old fixture. I needed the ground for the new GFI outlet.

On 2/22/2017 5:06 PM, MICHAEL ST ANGELO wrote:
BX cable is still required in New York City. I had to use it when I lived in
Queens.

How did the metal wrapper get hot? Was current passing througgh it? The BX I
had included a ground wire; maybe the earlier BX used the wrapper as the ground.

Mike N2MS

On February 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM K1FZ-Bruce  <k1fz@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

Live near a housing development with many tenants. The high line on the road is
about 20  feet diagonally from my attic.  Getting a lot of noise even with my
house main breaker off.
Appears to be induced into the attic wiring.

Question. Anyone tried some form "twisted pair with green wire"  house wiring
to reduce noise ?
If Yes, how did it work ?
Wiring laws vary from state to state.   If anyone has something that worked,
then I can ask local electrical law enforcement about it.

Years ago they had a BX cable   . It was twisted wires inside a metallic
wrapper.  When I was very young they used to think the metal wrapper got hot
and started house fires.

73
Bruce-k1fz
http://www.qsl.net/k1fz/beverage_antenna.html