Topband

Re: Topband: QRP on 160?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: QRP on 160?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 11:24:59 -0700
On 7/1/2024 10:57 AM, Radio KH6O wrote:
Is anyone regularly using say, 25W or less on 160?

Years ago, I ran 5W in pursuit of QRP WAS in 160 CW contests from my QTH near San Francisco, and was down to needing three states -- WV, SC, and VT. About 8 years ago, the explosion of RX noise caught up with that. About six years ago, I managed a sked with a WV station on JT65, and completed with him. An FT8 sked with W1UE remoting a VT station a few years later was unsuccessful.

Running QRP in those days, KL7RA, KH6LC, and NO3M nearly always heard my first call, and K1KI had pretty good ears.

I still will often call an Expedition running 5W, and often make the QSO. I'm guessing it's because they're in places that are remote enough that noise levels are low.

73, Jim K9YC