Topband

Re: Topband: Great moments in Top Band History - 7P8LB

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Great moments in Top Band History - 7P8LB
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 15:20:42 +0000
Hello Tree

Very fine writeup of the evening.  I heard 7P8LB all night in varying stages of copyability. At no time did I hear any evidence that I was being heard. I suspect that the spotlight effect did not favor the northeast and eastern Canada.  Most times, 7P peaked at about S-3 with an occasional strong peak to maybe S-5.  There was a sunrise peak, but not as drastic as others heard. It was exciting to monitor the chat page and just feel the adrenaline in the air! It was heartening to see that a goodly number of stations made it into their log.

I still do not understand 160 propagation, and that is the reason I love the band so much! I heard the KY7M QSO right at the end. That was a squeaker and one to remember for life! Wow, what a night!

Dave K1WHS

On 3/16/2019 2:44 PM, Tree wrote:
Last night - 1824.5 kHz - 7P8LB was calling CQ for perhaps 30 minutes -
working nobody.  This was their last sunrise before taking down their
antennas.  The previous night was disappointing and there were so many
people in North America wanting to work them.