Topband

Re: Topband: Testing for common mode noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Testing for common mode noise
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:00:23 -0400

 Jim K9YC said :

Second, a common mode choke does not in any way degrade
the signal nor the performance of the antenna.

 but after more offline discussions with Jim about a posting by W8JI warning
that a improper value common mode choke can actually make things worse, Jim
clarified his statement as follows : "My advice is based on using a "good"
choke -- that is, based on the    data in my RFI tutorial.  For an RX antenna,
14-18 turns through a    single #31 toroid should be quite effective on
160-80M."

Thanks to Jim and everyone else that responded to my posting.

Don (wd8dsb)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK