Topband

Re: Topband: SP test - Awful condx

To: "Gary and Kathleen Pearse" <pearse@gci.net>, "topband List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: SP test - Awful condx
From: "Goldtr8 \(KD8NNU\)" <goldtr8@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:15:52 -0500
I was driving all day to get home from holiday visits so I had a short SP for me. I needed CA and AK to finish my WAS 160m for CW and I did manage two CA contacts so hopefully they will confirm on LOTW, but I never heard or saw a AK on the spots.

Anyway I made a few contacts before diner and the rest between 12:00 and 1:00 AM EST for a total of 20. Normally I can easily make over 100 contacts but just too beat after driving all day.

Someday I will get the elusive AK contact on 160m.

But I also did not hear much of anything on my inverted L like in years past. So I would also say for my brief operating time the conditions were sub par.

Cheers
Don

~73
Don
KD8NNU
2014 3905CC Top Gun :-)
-----Original Message----- From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 2:45 PM
To: topband List

Poor also from Fairbanks, Ak. Listened both nights off and on. But in the end it was the burning end of my Inv-L that called timeout.

Apparently my coated stranded wire had a covering defect at the far end where it was suspended in a tree…the voltage node melted the pull-up rope and down it came/SWR shot up/amp went into safe mode (Alpha 8410).

And this was at -12F with everything covered with hoar frost. I’ve never had this happen before (I thought ice was a good insulator) but now I know what to look for at rebuild.

73, Gary NL7Y