Topband

Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65

To: CT1EKD <CT1EKD@mail.telepac.pt>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65
From: Richard Beerman <rbeersr@att.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 16:22:12 -0500
Gentlemen, The topic of WSJT came up at the Central States VHF Society
gathering about 12 to 15 years ago in Milwaukee. There were some very angry old
timers who, like some here, had earned awards on CW and phone and felt that the
awards were being “cheapened” by the use of WSJT on meteor scatter and
particularly on EME. WSJT continued to attract a lot of new operators to VHF.
Today, folks are running the new version of WSJT-X on 6 meters meteor scatter
all day long.

Over the years, there has been a small but vocal group of mainly European EME
operators who insist on working CW ONLY. Almost all the meteor scatter and EME
work in North America and Europe is  being done on WSJT today. All DXpeditions
are running WSJT on EME (mainly 2 meters, but occasionally 6 meters as well).
WSJT is popular on 432 MHz EME and some folks are using it on 23 cm, where CW
is still popular.

Point that I am trying to make is that time marches on and new modes are always
going to be developed. It’s a hobby not a vocation. If you want to operate CW
and collect CW awards on 160 or any other band, then have fun. In the end, I
bet that there will be more and more digital operating on TB, just as occurred
on VHF. By the way, even though WSJT “reduces” by about 6 db in EME station
performance requirements (ie power output, antenna gain, etc), the operator is
not just a "computer accessory" One must have to decide when a trace is a valid
EME signal (not a birdie) and react to it.

I do not think that WSJT would lend itself well to 160 contesting or even in
working DXpeditions. The contacts take too long.It works well for VHF
contesting where the number of active stations is much smaller.So, I really do
not think that there is much about WSJT to cause major heartburn among the 160
meter old timers.  73’s Dick  W5AK