Topband

Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80

To: donovanf@starpower.net,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 16:21:50 +0000
> A fourth idea you might consider is to simply use your tower to
> support
> a 1/4 wave vertical wire for 80 meters, fed against the same radials
> you
> use on 160 meters. This may be your easiest and most effective
> solution.
> I'm sure other Topbanders use the same solution for 80 meters.

FWIW, I did that with my 160 tower.  It works, but when the wind blows
the 80m antenna gets detuned.  The spacing is about 18" and
the 80m wire is under tension.  160m operation is unaffected.

I had thought about replacing the 80m wire with some 1" AL pipe
and use some supports say, every 20 ft.

73,
Charlie, N0TT