Topband

Re: Topband: 160m Fishing Beacons

To: Petr Ourednik <indians@xsmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Fishing Beacons
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:08:25 -0700
Petr,

Its nice to see the fishing beacons and how they can operate. The beacons I
hear, I think are in the Pacific Ocean probably off the coast of the US,
Mexico or Hawaii. I wonder if there is a way to find out their locations?

John, my inverted is very crude and simple. I put up a 30 ft push-up mast
with a pulley and insulated # 14 wire through it. The actual vertical
part is only 30 ft tall with 80 ft or so horzontal. The far end is about 25
ft high. Currently I have only 8 radials that are 135 ft long. I to have an
extensive lightning ground rod system that is connected to the radial/ground
system at the base.

Eventually, I plan on putting up a 67 ft vertical with a single 67 ft
horzontal wire. For 80m, I plan is to bring down the top wire and connect it
to the vertical at the base. Hopefully it would resonate on 80m, if not, I
may have to build and switch in a seperate matching system for 80m.

Another thought, I've been told that a full top hat, 2 or four wires at the
top are better than just an 'L'. Maybe I'll try both. In any case, I plan to
have at least 50 or so 135 ft radials under the antenna. I do run a full 1.5
KW output.

I have attached my list of what I have been able to hear. And if anyone
knows how to find out their locations, that would be great. It could be a
good way to determine propagation to certain areas.

Hope this helps. If you guys are keeping fishing beacon SWL long, I'd like
to see them someday.

Ray,
N6VR

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Petr Ourednik <indians@xsmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick and Ray,
>
> see my article which I posted longer time ago on my TB blog about the
> FNB or DNF...
>
> http://topband.blog.cz/0810/drift-nets-fishing-beacons
>
> Also the beacon list is updated including the FNB/DNF.
>
> http://topband.blog.cz/0611/160m-beacon-list
>
> I am trying to complete the list of beacons for long time ago and I
> tried it
> also for fishnets including history...
>
> 73 - Petr, OK1RP
>

> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:15:12 -0700, "Ray Benny" <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
> said:
>  > Nick,
> >
> > I'm glad someone is picking up the fishing beacon documentation and
> > history.
> > I believe it is you that is wanting to keep an SWL log of beacons heard.
> > If
> > not, pse let me know who is.
> > http://www.genesisradio.com.au/VK2DX/fishnet.html
> >
> > I have made up my own Excel SWL list, it is attached. I have added
> > several
> > extra columns: my sunrise, WWV, and relative signal strength and a note
> > field. I am new to 160m and currently only listen a couple times a
> > week during our sunrise. When I got on 160m and started logging the
> > beacons
> > heard, I did not record the date, signal strength or WWV.
> >
> > Let me know if you would like more of these SWL lists from me.
> >
> > Ray, N6VR
> >
> > near Prescott, AZ
> >
> > PS, my rx/tx antenna is a simple 30ft tall Inverted L with about 10
> > radials.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK