Topband

Re: Topband: EZNEC 5.0 + return loss and another question

To: "Charles Yahrling" <cfytech24x7@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: EZNEC 5.0 + return loss and another question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 09:16:17 -0500
Chuck,

Next question: in the manual the ALT IMPEDANCE explantion uses a 4:1
transformer example, which I get.  I've been toggling between RG213 50 ohm
and rg6/u 75 ohm to observe differences, reasoning that if I use a 75 ohm
feeder and get 2:0:1 or lower SWR  values, the 50 ohm "system" would start
(end) at the rig instead of the antenna feed point.  I noted that the SWR
bumped up a bit when I added a 120ft transmission line, which I would
expect.

I'm not sure what you are saying there, but it seems the usual "stuff" about SWR that trips people up may be confusing you. Unless you want to get into complex wave theory that takes a chapter of text to explain a simple concept, it is best to look at this a different way.

If we were transmitting video or had very high speed digital systems, we would have to consider reflected waves. We have steady-state systems where levels change over many RF cycles, not pulse or extreme bandwidth systems.

The real reason system performance changes with SWR is the impedance changes throughout the system. This impedance change causes voltages and currents throughout the system to change, and this causes losses to change. SWR or mismatch can change the loadline seen by the PA device(s), changing how the PA device works.

You probably don't need to know any of that to answer your question.

If you can ask a specific question, it should be easy to answer the question without confusing you.

Are you asking how to best model 75 ohm transmission lines in EZNEC? If not, what are you trying to do with the model??

73 Tom